Here are tips on leveraging social media while managing risk to the organization:
- Create a framework—Research how individuals are using social media and use this information as input to define a corporate social media strategy, policy and training program.
- Develop the strategy—Align the strategy with corporate objectives and obtain senior management approval. This should include outlining key channels, type of engagement, risks, communication and ongoing monitoring.
- Minimize the risk—Identify controls to minimize unnecessary risk to the organization (i.e., brand, reputation, consumer confidence).
- Training and awareness—Incorporate social media and security within the corporate security awareness and training program. Educate users on industry best practices for securely using these types of online environments.
- Ongoing monitoring—Monitor ongoing exploits occurring in the social media environment. Provide a vehicle to determine and communicate ongoing risks and appropriate risk mitigation strategies.